Karen F Rose My Painting Journey

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Moon and Our Fascination

Moonlit Bay, sketch
oil on  canvas
© Karen F. Rose
Forty one years ago on July 20th, we on the good planet earth looked skyward watching in awe "as man walked on the moon".  I remember that night just like it was yesterday.
My fascination with the moon hasn't changed much over these many years, but my interest now is painting the moon, not walking on it.
Painting moonlit scenes plein air is a challenge because, well...it's dark outside and hard to see your palette. It's best to choose a night when the moon is full and you will be amazed at how much color you actually can see once your eyes adjust to the light.
I was in Sarasota a few months ago at a workshop at the M Gallery of Fine Art with artist Mark R. Hanson. The highlight of the workshop was the night a group of about 10 of us painted in a park that overlooked the Sarasota bay. What a beautiful night! The lights of the city in the distance illuminated the sky and the sound of tree frogs serenaded in the night breeze.
The next full moon is Monday, July 26th, 2010. I'll be packed and ready to go with my booklight to light both my canvas and my paints and of course bug spray. Hey we aren't the only ones who love the moonlight!

No comments: