Karen F Rose My Painting Journey

Friday, July 30, 2010

Painting a May Memory




Le Rêve
oil on linen
Karen F. Rose

In Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting, the author stresses the importance of painting from memory.  We "relive our experiences and the effect they produced on us. The mind is dealing more with the  expression of thought than with the the clever application of paint".
After hearing of the environmental disaster just unfolding in the Gulf on that day in May, I stood at the water's edge. There was stillness and unbelievable serenity. How beautiful yet how fragile these waters are. 
While other painters around me were creating beautiful scenes of the manicured grounds; banyan trees, palms and flowers. My thoughts were "on the Gulf" hoping what I had heard on the news was just a dream.

No comments: