Karen F Rose My Painting Journey

Monday, August 1, 2011

Paynes Prairie Moon, oil painting


Paynes Prairie Moonrise Study

© 2011 Karen F. Rose
oil on canvas
8x10"
available
In March of this year a spectacular perigee full moon was scheduled to make its "rise". The best place to watch this for me was near Paynes Prarie just south of Gainesville, a large flat environmentally protected state preserve with large stands of grasses but few trees to block the panoramic view of the horizon.
About 200 of us waited, hoping for continued good weather so we might not miss this special moment.

This moonrise was the largest in about 20 years and might not happen with this brilliance again in my lifetime. This magnificent moon did not disappoint us. The large crowd gathered and as the moon rose,  there were a few oohs and ahhs, not like those for a 4th of July fireworks, but in hushed tones with reverence for this display by mother nature.

This oil painting is a study I will work into a larger painting.

8 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Simply stunning. Just love this one. Gorgeous and takes us right there to the beautiful moonrise. Must have been something to see. Look forward to seeing this one big:)

Jacquelyn Modesitt Schindehette said...

Karen, the moon rise painting at Paynes Prairie is exquisite!!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Karen, I was doing my own 'ooohs' and aaaahs' just looking at this painting before I read about it! Beautiful! Soft and serene.... you nailed it.

Nanci Hersh said...

This beautiful painting makes me want to Howl in awe.
Your work is evolving so beautifully. I look forward to your posts.

Jerry Stocks said...

Karen, this is so beautiful. Makes me feel I was there with you.

Unknown said...

Karen, this is gorgeous! Absolutely, you should paint it larger!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

you nailed this. Your landscapes are beautifully done. Nocturnes too.

Karen F. Rose said...

Thanks all for commenting. Really appreciated your thoughts.