Karen F Rose My Painting Journey

Friday, May 8, 2015

The 2015 Plein Air Convention in Monterey, CA


Point Lobos Preserve
photo credit Karen F. Rose
2015 Plein Air Convention
Monterey, CA
In the last few weeks I've traveled from the First Coast in Florida to the West Coast in California to paint plein air. The trip included attending the 2015 Plein Air Convention held in Monterey, CA with four of my very favorite painting friends.
700 painters from all over the world gathered to watch some of the rock stars of plein air painting in demos and discussions and then at the end of each day gather together to paint the gorgeous rugged coastline in Monterey and Carmel, CA.

To see some of the video highlights of the event click HERE  In the first day video, you will see me talking with Michael Harding of Michael Harding handmade artist oil colors. So many vendor opportunities to add artist supplies: Rosemary Brushes, Gamblin paints, Raymar panels, Strada easels, need I say I had to purchase an additional suitcase for the trip home!
Next years conference will be in Tucson, AZ. Good thing I already have an extra suitcase.

During my stay I also visited the De Young Museum in San Francisco and had the chance to meet up with one of my favorite paintings, Lady Agnew by John Singer Sargent. It's the first time the painting has been in the United States as it is on loan for a special exhibit Botticelli to Braque: Masterpieces from the National Galleries of Scotland.
Lady Agnew by John Singer Sargent
On special exhibit De young Museum, San Francisco, CA
photo credit Karen F. Rose
Blue Veil by Edmund Tarbell
De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA
photo credit Karen F. Rose
Another favorite painting on exhibit at the De Young is The Blue Veil by Edmond Tarbell.
Such mystery and poetry in this painting.

My next post will be from the Oil Painters of America National Exhibition in St Augustine, FL.
You are invited to join my email list to receive news about My Painting Journey and to see the latest paintings. Just visit my web site home page www.karenfrose.com.  the link to add your email is on the home page.

No comments: