Karen F Rose My Painting Journey

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Discovering Monet at the Grand Palais

Exhibition poster outside Grand Palais in Paris appropriate for this landmark exhibition.
Long lines for admission. The exhibit runs until Jan. 24, 2011.
Monet exhibition bookstore
Can you say...bring your Visa!
More than 70 museums from around the world loaned paintings to the Monet exhibition at the Grand Palais in Paris. Included are more than 200 works covering 60 years of Claude Monet's career. It is the largest retrospective to be organized in his native France in 30 years. more than 83,000 tickets have already been sold and lines are long if you have not prearranged for your ticket. 
The painting, Impression, Soleil Levant which gave Impressionism it's name is missing from this exhibit and is on display at Musée Marmottan Monet that is a former hunting lodge in the 16th arrondissement district. There is an interesting Wall Street Journal article about the feud over the inclusion of that painting in the exhibit. Google the article if you want some behind the scenes drama.
This amazing exhibit has an interactive web site  
http://www.monet2010.com/en#/home/
But be patient because it takes a while for all the information to load.
Must say I was overwhelmed. I had severe jet lag and I kept pinching myself knowing this is a once in a lifetime exhibit and I was seeing paintings I will never again see in person.
The rooms were darkly lit and the deep jewel tones of the exhibition walls made the light in the paintings radiate their glow....very captivating. As Liz Lemon says, I want to go there....again.
I invite you to subscribe to my blog and please share my link with friends who might find it interesting. Thanks.

1 comment:

Helene said...

Sublime exposition, victime de son succès: mieux vaut réserver! Heureuse de voir que ces événements français attirent les artistes d'outre-atlantique :)