Karen F Rose My Painting Journey

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Just One More

Shrimp boats on the Atlantic
My predawn view of small shrimp boats on the Atlantic with their lights twinkling on the horizon gave me a minute to pause and think of my dad.
My father would fish on small lakes in Michigan where I grew up and then again in Florida when he retired. I often think of him out on the lake, well into the twilight hours as he would try to catch "just one more". The lights from the cottages across the lake would barely be visible and we would hear that sound of an outboard motor as he would head back to shore and we knew he was coming home. 

Years ago when my mom was 94, we reminisced about the time my father  went out into the Gulf of Mexico with an elderly gentleman neighbor, one of his fishing buddies.
The motor in the neighbor's little boat failed on them halfway into their fishing adventure. 

Around 2 in the morning the coast guard helicopter saw them floating at sea... two old men and the sea.
Thankfully they were rescued, but my father did not venture out into the Gulf in a boat without two motors ever again.
Tell me one your fishing stories....everyone has one.

With so many of us sheltering in place during the Corona 19 crisis I hope you can spend time hearing stories from your parents.
​It's really a gift we have being together during this time. Use it wisely to learn and share stories with those you care about.
Enjoy this 4th of July weekend. 

Beyond the Blue, oil, Karen F. Rose, In Private Collection

No comments: